lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Stefan Trcek <wzzelfz...@abas.de>
Subject Re: Proposal for changing Lucene's backwards-compatibility policy
Date Fri, 16 Oct 2009 11:37:39 GMT
On Friday 16 October 2009 08:57:37 Michael Busch wrote:

> So please tell us which you prefer as a back compatibility policy for
> Lucene:

I don't do drop in but recompile anyway, so it doesn't matter for me.
It is only important that the documentation is clear about what has to
be done.

> B) best effort drop-in back compatibility for the next minor version
> number only, and deprecations may be removed after one minor release
> (e.g. v3.3 will be compat with v3.2, but not v3.4)

Nevertheless I prefer B because the deprecation changes per release will
be smaller and maybe even grouped by topic. I prefer advancing step by
step. A bunch of deprecated API parts even hinders reading and
understanding the API. So, the sooner they are gone, the better.

Regards, Stefan