lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Toke Eskildsen ...@statsbiblioteket.dk>
Subject Re: Performance tips when creating a large index from database.
Date Tue, 27 Oct 2009 10:52:15 GMT
On Thu, 2009-10-22 at 15:14 +0200, Erick Erickson wrote:
> Besides the other suggestions, I'd really, really, really put
> some instrumentationin the code and see where you're spending your time. For
> a fast hint, put
> a cumulative timer around your indexing part only. This will indicate
> whether
> the time is consumed in querying your database or indexing......

I'll second that. We use this in most of our outer methods and log the
time used on DEBUG level (and INFO in a few select cases).

For pinpointing bottlenecks I'll also recommend VisualVM. It ships with
Java, but the newest version can be found at
https://visualvm.dev.java.net/

The beauty of this tool is that it requires no preparation. Just start
is and connect to a running Java program. It provides detailed CPU-usage
and RAM-allocation statistics.

- Toke