lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Mindaugas Žakšauskas <min...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Memory consumed by IndexSearcher
Date Wed, 23 Sep 2009 15:55:46 GMT
Hi Karl,

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 6:58 PM, Karl Wettin <karl.wettin@gmail.com> wrote:
> <..> Thing that
> consume the most memory is probably field norms (8 bits per field and
> document unless omitted) and flyweighted terms (String#interal), things you
> can't really do that much about.

I was kind of hinting on the resource planning. Every decent
enterprise application, apart from other things, has to provide its
memory requirements, and my point was - if it uses memory, how much of
it needs to be allocated? What are the boundaries?

> But it is hard to say for sure when you've said so little about what your
> index really looks like.

> How many fields,
80

> do you use norms
yes

> how many documents do you have
786

> how many unique terms are there, etc?
Luke says:
Has deletions? / Optimized? Yes (1614) / No
Index format: -7 (Lucene 2.4)
Index functionality: lock-less, single norms, shared doc
store,checksum,del count, omitTf
TermInfos index divisor: 1
Directory implementation: org.apache.lucene.store.FSDirectory

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Mindaugas