lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: Extending Sort/FieldCache
Date Tue, 08 Sep 2009 22:29:21 GMT

: Thanks Mike. I did not phrase well my understanding of Cache reload. I
: didn't mean literally as part of the reopen, but *because* of the reopen.
: Because FieldCache is tied to an IndexReader instance, after reopen it gets
: refreshed. If I keep my own Cache, I'll need to code that logic, and I
: prefer to use what's currently in Lucene. (Sloth? :) )

but there is no actually refresh anywhere in Lucene ... the first time
it's used on a reader, it's cached.  when that reader gets garbage
collected, it's remved from the cache.  the only way the reopen/segment
level sorting changed things is that in a multireader the indexreader refs
put in the cache are all segment readers ... so if you reopen a
multireader only the changed segments will need to be added to hte cache
(the others will still be there)

but extending FieldCache doesn't really help you get any reuse out of that
that you couldn't get with your own weakhashmap keyed on indexreaders --
the sorting code will always give your custom Sort the segment readers.

-Hoss