lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: Field.Store.NO & Field.Index.NOT_ANALYZED & hashCode
Date Thu, 03 Sep 2009 22:01:25 GMT

: As for the exact matching, I am wondering if I should store the hashcode of
: the text in a separate field and convert the text in the query to a hashcode
: before passing it on or if Lucene already does something like that under the
: covers when it sees Field.Store.NO & Field.Index.NOT_ANALYZED. We will have
: millions of entries.

lucene doesn't modify your data ... if you have a hashing function that
you are reasonably sure won't produce any collisions, you might see
speed / index-size improvements in using a hash instead of the orriginal
string (it depends on how fast your hashing function is, and how small the
has values are compared to the input values)

-Hoss