lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Zhang, Lisheng" <Lisheng.Zh...@BroadVision.com>
Subject Concurrent indexing thread/process safety issue - can we have document-lock instead of directory-lock in future?
Date Tue, 15 Sep 2009 16:45:18 GMT
Hi,

I read through the lucene thread/process safety issue for concurrent
indexing, my understanding is that each indexing through IndexWriter
will lock the whole index directory.

Now we need to index a community blog where many people add/update,
so queuing all those indexing requests would be a performance burden.

In RDB we can have record-locking instead of page-locking, I am wondering
whether it is possible in future we can have document-locking instead of
directory-locking for lucene indexing, which would be a performance boost?

Thanks very much for helps, Lisheng