lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Jason Rutherglen <jason.rutherg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Concurrent Indexing and Searching
Date Fri, 25 Sep 2009 18:12:52 GMT
It depends on whether or not the commit completes before the
reopen. Lucene 2.9 adds an IndexWriter.getReader method that
will always return with the latest modifications to your index.

So if you're adding many documents, you can at anytime, call
IW.getReader and you will be able to search the changes made to
that point. This is not different than reopen except getReader
does not require a commit.

On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 10:41 AM, Klaus Teller <klaus.teller@gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've read that it is possible to update the index while another thread has a reader open.
>
> Now let's say the reader is trying to reopen the index (using its reopen method) and
at the very same time, the write its committing its 500MB changes to the index. My question
is, what happens in this situation? What index does the reader end up having if it tries to
open the index while the writer is modifying it?