lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Kerang Lv <lvkrne...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Run your Lucene Applications on Google AppEngine with GAELucene
Date Wed, 16 Sep 2009 14:53:51 GMT
Hi Daniel Shane,

The GAEFile/GAEIndexInput was a bit like the RAMFile/RAMInputStream, it can hold the file's
byte data in memory, so the performance should be acceptable once most file segments were
loaded from the google datastore.

Wish your test result.

----- Original Message ----
From: Daniel Shane <shaned@LEXUM.UMontreal.CA>
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Sent: Wednesday, September 16, 2009 10:33:32 PM
Subject: Re: Run your Lucene Applications on Google AppEngine with GAELucene

I question the performance of such an approach. For lucene to be fast, disk access need to
be fast, and the transaction stuff with google is not that good.

I'll have to test it out to see, but I anticipate a huge performance hit compared to lucene
running with a real HDD access.

Daniel Shane

Allahbaksh Mohammedali Asadullah wrote:
> Hi,
> This is great news and good work. I think I will try this today evening. I think we should
put this as one of component in lucene-contrib. What do you say? Committer and owner please
comment.
> Regards,
> Allahbaksh

I implemented a google datastore based Lucene component, GAELucene, which can help you to
run search applications on google app engine.

> The main clazz of GAELucene include:    * GAEDirectory - a read only Directory based
on google datastore.    * GAEFile - stands for an index file, the file's byte content will
be splited into multi GAEFileContent.    * GAEFileContent - stands for a segment of index
file.    * GAECategory - the identifier of different indices.    * GAEIndexInput - a memory-resident
IndexInput? implementation like the RAMInputStream.    * GAEIndexReader - wrapper for IndexReader?
that cached in GAEIndexReaderPool    * GAEIndexReaderPool - pool for GAEIndexReader