lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Shai Erera <ser...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Extending Sort/FieldCache
Date Sun, 06 Sep 2009 08:42:21 GMT

> I've resisted using payloads for this purpose in Solr because it felt
> like an interim hack until CSF is implemented.

I don't see it as a hack, but as a proper use of a great feature in Lucene.
CSF and this are essentially the same. Adding document-level metadata, or
adding a term which puts stuff in the payload feels the same to me. We'll
definitely need to perf. test the two and compare. The package I wrote
"hides" this payload stuff from the app developer. If after CSF is
introduced is makes sense to move to use it, it should be very simple to
change the sort-by-payload package to use it, w/o affecting apps too much (I
think and hope).

The term just describes the "sort-by" type (e.g. date, title, priority etc.)
and there is only one position and nobody really cares about it and needs to
know that.

Shai