lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Shai Erera <ser...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Extending Sort/FieldCache
Date Fri, 04 Sep 2009 04:33:10 GMT
Thanks

I plan to look into two things, and then probably create two separate
issues:

1) Refactor the FieldCache API (and TopFieldCollector) such that one can
provide its own Cache of native values. I'd hate to rewrite the
FieldComparators logic just because the current API is not extendable. That
I agree should be quite straightforward, but I'll need to look into it
first.

2) Contribute my payload-based sorting package. Currently it only reads from
disk during searches, and I'd like to enhance it to use in-memory cache as
well. It's a moderate-size package, so this one will need to wait until (1)
is done, and I get enough time to adapt it to 2.9 and work on the issue.

I definitely don't think this should be a 2.9 sort of work, unless someone
else volunteers to do it. I can't pull (1) together that quickly.

I thought that FieldCache is loaded when the IndexReader is reopened no? I
mean, it's a per IndexReader instance no? If not, then I'll need to rethink
the entire approach, because then (1) may not be that important anymore.

Shai