lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Alex <azli...@gmail.com>
Subject Query and language conversion
Date Tue, 01 Sep 2009 14:30:14 GMT
Hi,

I am new to Lucene so excuse me if this is a trivial question ..

I have data that I Index in a given language (English). My users will come
from different countries and my search screen will be internationalized. My
users will then probably query thing in their own language. Is it possible
too lookup for Items that were indexed in a different language.

To make thing a bit more clear.

My "Business" object has a "type" attribute. In lucene the "type" field is
created. The Business object for  "Doctor Smuck" will be indexed with the
"type" field as  "medical doctor" or anything similar.
My German users will query using german languange. He tries to find a Doctor
using "Arzt" or maybe "Mediziner" as a query.
Is Lucene able to match the query to the value that was indexed in another
language ?
Is there an analyser for that ?

By the way : I can provide the probable input language, based on the
client's search page language,  as a parameter if that helps (it probably
will) .

Many thanks for your thoughts !