lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Uwe Schindler" <...@thetaphi.de>
Subject RE: too many file descriptors opened by Lucene shows (deleted) in /proc
Date Fri, 04 Sep 2009 06:26:01 GMT
This is normal. When you open an IndexReader/IndexSearcher, it opens various
file handles. If you additionally update/add/delete documents in parallel
(even in other process), or optimize the index, the original IndexReader
stays on using the "old" state of the index. IndexWriter deletes some files,
but IndexReader still have them open (this is our segment based
"transaction" handling of IndexWriter). If you reopen your IndexReader to
get the last updates of the underlying index, these "deleted" files will
disappear, as they can be closed. As long as they are open, they disappear
from directory listing, but they still consume space on disk (because they
are still used). This is why you see this deleted files.

-----
Uwe Schindler
H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen
http://www.thetaphi.de