lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Paul Taylor <paul_t...@fastmail.fm>
Subject Is there way to get complete start end matches to be first in the list ?
Date Tue, 08 Sep 2009 20:43:46 GMT
Is there way to get complete start end matches to be first in the list

We use Lucene to search song albums titles typically one to ten words
long. If the user enter something like 'foo bar' everything that
contains foo bar is returned with max score , thats fine but it would be
better if an exact match is right at the top. Also although an OR Search
has been entered would be great if that it ranked matches where both
words are together higher than when they are not , but still return
results that only match one condirtion.

 Ideally giving results in this order

    * Foo Bar (exact match)
    * The Foo Bar Somethings (substring - exact match)
    * Bar Foo (all terms match)
    * Bar Baz and the Foo (substring - all terms match)
    * Foo (some terms match)
    * Foo Something (substring - some terms match)

Is there something I can do in Lucene, or some way I can modify the
query (as entered by the user) to get results better aproaching this

Paul