lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Ted Stockwell <emorn...@yahoo.com>
Subject Question about IndexCommit
Date Tue, 01 Sep 2009 12:54:52 GMT
Hi All,

I am interested in using Lucene to index RDF (Resource Description Format) data.
Ultimately I want to create a transactional interface to the data with proper transaction
isolation.
Therefore I am trying to educate myself on the details of index readers and writers, I am
using v2.9rc2.

One thing I have noticed is that it seems that Lucene is designed with the intent that changes
to the index by a writer should not be visible to index readers until the writer commits its
changes.
However, one thing that I have noticed in the code is that when documents are deleted by a
writer the writers change the .del (deleted documents) files in the segment in which the document
exists.
Thus, it appears that document deletions may become visible to readers *before* a write actually
commits its changes.

Am I correct about how document deletions work?
Since I'm new to Lucene I'm wondering if I'm missing something...

Thanks,
ted stockwell