lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Simon Willnauer <>
Subject Re: how to down-weight synonyms
Date Wed, 26 Aug 2009 10:10:21 GMT
Hi Sven,
While I have no idea bout the example in LiA  I can give you some
quick pointers.
if you add the synonyms at query time you can assign a boost factor to
the added synonyms that would boost the matches to a particular term
down. -> something in the interval [0,1]
if you add the synonyms at index time you could add a payload to the
added synonyms and use some payload aware query for searches. See

You could also index the content into two different fields on with and
one without synonyms and set boost factors on the field. This case
would be a little more complex and rather "dirty" but maybe its an
option for you.