lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Woolf, Ross" <Ross_Wo...@BMC.com>
Subject UNC speed vs DOS path speed
Date Fri, 07 Aug 2009 19:40:48 GMT
On a Windows machine I have noticed that using a UNC path instead of a DOS path when instantiating
an index writer causes the performance to slow considerably, even when the UNC is to the same
location as DOS path.  Is anyone aware of this and why?   Is there anything that can be done
to improve performance when using a UNC path?

Example:
In this example I am indexing about 3000 documents.  If I instantiate IndexWriter with the
path \\localhost\general\index  and index the documents it takes almost 2 minutes to index
these documents.  If instead, I use the DOS path C:\test\general\index, which is to the exact
location as the localhost UNC path, it only takes 14 seconds to index the same 3000 documents.

I realize that using the UNC path causes the involvement of the IP stack, but I'm surprised
at the difference of speed.  Is there anything in Lucene itself that would account for the
difference in speed, or is it in the Java layer itself?

Any help would be appreciated on understanding this behavior and knowing if there is anything
that can be done to bring the UNC path speed closer to the DOS path speed.