lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Chris Adams" <ch...@emaildatasource.com>
Date Mon, 17 Aug 2009 14:04:53 GMT
I'm not extremely familiar with Lucene, so I am confused at why the
following behavior is happening:

When I build up a BooleanQuery using the Lucene objects (combination of
RangeQueries, TermQuery, etc.) I am getting a different result than when
I do a QueryParser.parse(queryString).

The BooleanQuery that I build up produces the following output:

String queryString = baseQuery.toString();
Output: +date_received:[20030301 TO 20090913] +type:O24337
+(site_domains_reversed:moc.rettiwt site_domains_reversed:moc.rettiwt.*)

Hits results = indexSearcher.search(baseQuery);
Output: results.length = 0

-------------
However, if I do the following, I get results:
QueryParser stringParser = new QueryParser(LUCENE_SEARCH_FIELD,
PuntEmailIndexHelper.getAnalyzer());
Query parsedQuery = stringParser.parse(baseQuery.toString());
Hits results = indexSearcher.search(parsedQuery);
Output: results.length = 3

My question is, why are the results different?? The query in both cases
is the same, the only difference is that one was "built-up" while the
other one was "parsed" based upon the .toString() method of the built-up
query...

Hopefully, this is making sense and someone can explain why the results
are different.

Thanks for your help.

Chris Adams
Senior Software Engineer

Email Data Source, Inc.
816-448-2045
chris@emaildatasource.com

EmailDataSource.com <http://www.emaildatasource.com/>   | 5 of the top
20 internet retailers use Email Data Source