lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: FSDirectory.setDisableLocks
Date Sat, 15 Aug 2009 09:49:25 GMT
You could also use NoLockFactory.

Disabling locks just means Lucene stops checking if another writer has
the index open (the write.lock file).

It's extremely dangerous to do, unless you are absolutely certain your
application level locking properly implements the protection.  It will
quickly lead to index corruption.

I would expect no real performance change, unless you create writers
exceptionally often.

A read-only index need not disable locks because IndexReader will
never attempt to create a lock.  (Before 2.1 there was also a commit
lock, which IndexReader did create, but as of 2.1 IndexReader is
readOnly, unless you use it to do deletions or change norms).

Mike