lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Chris Bamford <Chris.Bamf...@scalix.com>
Subject RE: Lucene gobbling file descriptors
Date Thu, 27 Aug 2009 13:10:58 GMT
I'm glad its not normal.  That means we can fix it!  I will conduct a review of IndexReader/Searcher
open/close ops.

Thanks!

Chris

----- Original Message -----
From: Michael McCandless <lucene@mikemccandless.com>
Sent: Wed, 26/8/2009 2:26pm
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Lucene gobbling file descriptors

This is not normal.  As long as you are certain you close every
IndexReader/Searcher that you opened, the number of file descriptors
should stay "contained".

Though: how many files are there in your index directory?

Mike

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 9:18 AM, Chris Bamford<Chris.Bamford@scalix.com> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I wonder if someone can help?  We have a successful Lucene app deployed on Tomcat which
works well.  As far as we can tell, our developers have observed all the guidelines in the
Lucene FAQ, but on some of our installations, Tomcat eventually runs out of file descriptors
and needs a restart to clear it.  We know Lucene is the culprit because use lsof -p <java
PID> and the vast majority (usually tens of thousands) of files reported are Lucene index
files.

> I am hoping to get some tips on how this can be avoided.  Is it simply the case that
as time goes by, more and more descriptors are left open and no matter how high ulimit is
set, you will run out?  Or is there a policy of recycling that we are failing to utilise properly?