lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Shashi Kant <shashi....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How to het the score in percentage
Date Sat, 22 Aug 2009 14:01:59 GMT
Chris & Erick's arguments are persuasive , however we do live in an
imperfect world. Most of our users want to see the relative importance
of a results vis-a-vis the rest....

Relative Importance (%) = (d - dmin)/(dmax-dmin) * 100

Where dmax is the highest Lucene score (score of top result) and dmin
is the least (the score of the last result) and d = current score.

This would work for any n results.

While this might be technically 'meh', we took a simple normalization
approach of Lucene scores, it helped the users in gauging the relative
importance and relate better. End of day, isn't that what matters
most?