lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com>
Subject Lucene 2.9 RC2 now available for testing
Date Fri, 28 Aug 2009 19:02:26 GMT

Hello Lucene users,

On behalf of the Lucene dev community (a growing community far larger
than just the committers) I would like to announce the second release
candidate for Lucene 2.9.

Please download and check it out – take it for a spin and kick the
tires. If all goes well, we hope to release the final version of
Lucene 2.9 in a little over a week.

The following changes have been applied since the first release candidate:
LUCENE-1867: replace collation/lib/icu4j.jar with a smaller icu jar
LUCENE-1868: add Arabic stemmer to notice.txt
LUCENE-1870: fix contrib dist - missing analyzers/db binaries - extra
miscellaneous folder with misc readme in it
LUCENE-1869: include 'file exists?' when we throw RuntimeException
from fdx or tvx size mismatches during flush or merge
LUCENE-1871: Add option to avoid needlessly wrapping TokenStream with
CachingTokenFilter in Highlighter

While we generally try and maintain full backwards compatibility
between major versions, Lucene 2.9 has a variety of breaks that are
spelled out in the 'Changes in backwards compatibility policy' section
of CHANGES.txt.

We recommend that you recompile your application with Lucene 2.9
rather than attempting to “drop” it in. This will alert you to any
issues you may have to fix if you are affected by one of the backward
compatibility breaks. As always, its a really good idea to thoroughly
read CHANGES.txt before upgrading. Also, remember that this is a
release candidate, and not the final Lucene 2.9 release.

Lucene 2.9 comes with a bevy of new features, including:

Per segment searching and caching (can lead to much faster reopen
among other things)

Near real-time search capabilities added to IndexWriter

New queries, including NumericRangeQuery and NumericRangeFilter –
fast, highly scalable alternatives to RangeQuery/RangeFilter for
numeric searches.

Smarter, more scalable multi-term queries (wildcard, range, etc)

A freshly optimized Collector/Scorer API

Improved Unicode support

A new Attribute based TokenStream API

A new QueryParser framework in contrib with a core QueryParser
replacement impl included.

  ….

And many, many more features, bug fixes, optimizations, and various
improvements. You can find the full list of changes here:

HTML version:
http://people.apache.org/~markrmiller/staging-area/lucene2.9changes/Changes.html

Text version:
http://people.apache.org/~markrmiller/staging-area/lucene2.9changes/CHANGES.txt

Many changes have also occurred in Lucene's contrib area:
http://people.apache.org/~markrmiller/staging-area/lucene2.9changes/contrib/CHANGES.txt

Download release candidate 1 here:
http://people.apache.org/~markrmiller/staging-area/lucene2.9rc2/

Be sure to report back with any issues you find!

Thanks,

Mark Miller