lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Ted Stockwell <emorn...@yahoo.com>
Subject Why perform optimization in 'off hours'?
Date Mon, 31 Aug 2009 15:25:08 GMT
Hi All,

I am new to Lucene and I was reading 'Lucene in Action' this weekend.
The book recommends that optimization be performed when the index is not in use.
The book makes it clear that optimization *may* be performed while indexing but it says that
optimizing while indexing makes indexing slower.
However, the book does not explain *why* indexing would be slower while optimizing.
Since I know that optimization will create new segments and not mess with the old ones, I'm
confused as to how optimizing may cause indexing to slow down.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
ted stockwell