lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From cemerick <cemer...@snowtide.com>
Subject Purpose of the file modification date methods in Directory?
Date Tue, 25 Aug 2009 14:57:29 GMT

I've built a Lucene Directory implementation for jdbm, an embedded Java
database. Part of the Directory API are two methods related to "file"
modification dates: touchFile and fileModified. My question is, what is the
purpose of these methods? I've searched the Lucene core source tree, and
found no usage of these methods at all.

FWIW, my interest is the fact that I'd like to not bother tracking mod
dates, given that I'm using an embedded datastore, and such metadata isn't
"free" as it is in a regular filesystem.  My jdbm Directory impl seems to be
working just fine (with touchFile a no-op and fileModified always returning
0).

Thanks,

- Chas