lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Chris Bamford <Chris.Bamf...@scalix.com>
Subject Lucene gobbling file descriptors
Date Wed, 26 Aug 2009 13:18:44 GMT
Hi there,

I wonder if someone can help?  We have a successful Lucene app deployed on Tomcat which works
well.  As far as we can tell, our developers have observed all the guidelines in the Lucene
FAQ, but on some of our installations, Tomcat eventually runs out of file descriptors and
needs a restart to clear it.  We know Lucene is the culprit because use lsof -p <java PID>
and the vast majority (usually tens of thousands) of files reported are Lucene index files.

I am hoping to get some tips on how this can be avoided.  Is it simply the case that as time
goes by, more and more descriptors are left open and no matter how high ulimit is set, you
will run out?  Or is there a policy of recycling that we are failing to utilise properly?

I am happy to provide more information, just don't know what at this point!  Please ask....

Thanks in advance

- Chris

Chris Bamford
Senior Development Engineer