lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From <oh...@cox.net>
Subject Re: Slightly Off-topic: How to decide whether or not to add a document?
Date Tue, 04 Aug 2009 16:08:14 GMT
Ian,

One question about the 4th alternative:  I was wondering how you implemented the sleep() in
Java, esp. in such a way as not to mess up any of the Lucene stuff (in case there's threading)?

Right now, my indexer/inserter app doesn't explicitly do any threading stuff.

Thanks,
Jim

---- ohaya@cox.net wrote:
> Hi Ian,
>
> Thanks for the quick response.
>
> I forgot to mention, but in our case, the "producers" is part of a commercial package,
so we don't have a way to get them to change anything, so I think the 1st 3 suggestions are
not feasible for us.

> I have considered something like the 4th suggestion (check file size, timeout, and check
file size again).  I'm worried that it would impact the overall index insertion process, but
that unless there's something better, that may be our best option :(...

> Thanks again,
> Jim
>

> ---- Ian Lea <ian.lea@gmail.com> wrote:
> > A few suggestions:
> >
> > . Queue the docs once they are complete using something like JMS.
> >
> > . Get the document producers to write to e.g. xxx.tmp and rename to
> > e.g. xxx.txt at the end
> >
> > . Get the document producers to write to a tmp folder and move to e.g.
> > input/ when done
> >
> > . Find a file, store size, sleep for a while, check size and if changed, skip
> >
> > I've used all these at one time or another for assorted, mainly
> > non-lucene, apps, and they are all workable.
> >

> > --
> > Ian.
> >

> > On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 4:40 PM, <ohaya@cox.net> wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have an app to initially create a Lucene index, and to populate it with documents.
 I'm now working on that app to insert new documents into that Lucene index.

> > > In general, this new app, which is based loosely on the demo apps (e.g., IndexFiles.java),
is working, i.e., I can run it with a "create" parameter, and it creates a good/valid index
from the documents, and then I can run it with an "insert" parameter, and it inserts new documents
into the index.

> > > [As I mentioned in an earlier thread, we only have a requirement to insert
new documents into the index, no requirements for deleting documents or updating documents
that have already been indexed).

> > > Ok, as I said, that works so far.
> > >
> > > However, in our case, the processes that are creating the documents that we
are indexing are fairly long-lived, and write fairly large documents, and I'm worried that
when an insert operation is run, some of the potential documents may still be being written
to, and we wouldn't want the indexer to insert the document into the Lucene index until the
document is "complete".

> > > As you know, the way that the demos such as IndexFiles work is that they call
a method called IndexDocs().  IndexDocs() then recursively walks the directory tree, and
calling the writer to add to the index.

> > > In this loop, IndexDocs() does a few checks (isDirectory(), canRead), and I
think that it would "pick up" (find) some documents that are still "in progress" (being written
to, and not closed) in our case.

> > > I was wondering if anyone here has a situation similar to this (having to index
large documents that may be "in progress/being written to"), and how you handle this situation?