lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Simon Willnauer <simon.willna...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Storing a serialized object ?
Date Sat, 04 Jul 2009 08:20:50 GMT
On Sat, Jul 4, 2009 at 10:15 AM, Uwe Schindler<uwe@thetaphi.de> wrote:
>> That is one way, or you do it base64 encoded in a text field if don't
>> care about space at all. :)
just for clarification:
one way Java Object Serialization - is not efficient at all It takes a
lot of space and performance is crap.
other way BASE64 encoded - might take even more space and time but
uses string field

> Lucene also have binary fields for storing. Searching on such fields does
> not make sense, so its ok to not be able to index them (how should that
> work).
>
> I have this use case, too. Sometimes it is senseful to store arbitrary
> objects as stored fields in the index and use then e.g. when displaying
> search results.
This usecase is totally valid I just doubt that storing a java object
in there make a lot of sense (By using Java Object Serialization) as
it is so damn slow. Many efficient serialization methods are around to
do that way faster in a compact way.

simon