lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: Terms with negative boost should not contribute to coord()
Date Wed, 22 Jul 2009 19:45:35 GMT
: I am firing a query having terms- each associated with a boost factor. Some
: of the terms are having negative boost also (for negative boost I am using
: values between 0 and 1).

except that a value between 0 and 1 isn't really a negative boost --
there's no such thing as a negative boost.  what you've got are just
boosts with values that happen to be lower then the default value (1.0f).

: I am trying to implement a behaviour where  the coord factor should only
: consider the terms with positive boost.
: How should I proceed?. I would like some pointers regarding from where
: should I start.

you could subclass BooleanQuery/BooleanScorer and change the scoreing
function to only compute the coord on the clauses with boosts greater then
one.  but a simpletr approach that would probably work just as well would
be to break your query up into tqo seperate BooleanQueries - one with your
"negative" boosts and disableCoord=true, another with your "positive"
boosts, disableCoord=false.  then put both of those in a new top level
BooleanQuery with disableCoord=true.

-Hoss