lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Ian Lea <>
Subject Re: Seeking guidance for updating indexes
Date Fri, 31 Jul 2009 17:07:39 GMT
You're pretty much spot on.  Read the FAQ entry "Does Lucene allow
searching and indexing simultaneously?" for one of your questions (the
answer is yes btw).  With only a single update app running there won't
be any locking issues.  When the updater code opens the index you'll
need to ensure that it doesn't create a new index, otherwise carry on
calling Document.add() as before.

On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 5:42 PM, <> wrote:
> Hi,
> I still am new to Lucene, but I think I have an initial indexer app (based on the demo
IndexFiles app) working, and also have a web app, based on the demo luceneweb web app working.
> I'm still busy tweaking both, but am starting to think ahead, about operational type
issues, esp. updating indexes.
> The situation I have is a little specific.  In particular, once a document is indexed
via Lucene, we will, theoretically, never need to or want to remove that document.  But,
we will have new documents that will need to be added periodically.
> In other words, I think the terminology would be that we woud just be "inserting" documents
(and updating the Lucene index), never "updating" or "deleting" documents.
> From some research I've done, it seems like the way to accomplish this would be to just
add the new documents, using Document.add(), as I did with the initial indexer, but having
a new "update" app that makes sure that it is only adding documents that have not been added
> Is this correct?
> Assuming that the above is correct, is it going to be possible to keep the search web
app running while the new update app is doing its job?
> Are there things that I need to worry about in the update app, such as locking, etc.?
  Note that we would only have a single update app running, i.e., we won't have any situations
where we'd have multiple updates running simultaneously.
> If so, what are they?
> Specifically, what I'm looking for is, other than ensuring not to add previously-added
documents, what is different between the original indexer code and the update indexer code?