lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Carl Austin" <Carl.aus...@detica.com>
Subject RE: Insuffient resources during optimize merge
Date Fri, 03 Jul 2009 11:53:02 GMT
Sorry, I forgot to include that I am using lucene 2.4.0 and Java 1.5

Thanks

Carl

-----Original Message-----
From: Ian Lea [mailto:ian.lea@gmail.com]
Sent: 03 July 2009 11:51
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Insuffient resources during optimize merge

Hi

Google throws up some hits for this error relating to obscure problems on Windows with UNC
paths and shared rather than local storage.  If that's not relevant it might help to know
what OS you are on, and versions of lucene and java.

As a workaround you could perhaps try not using the compound file format.

--
Ian.

On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 11:12 AM, Carl Austin<Carl.austin@detica.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an issue when optimizing a large index (40GB). Basically the
> optimize falls over with an IOException stating there are not enough
> system resources, within a RandomAccessFile.readBytes call followed
> back to the CompoundFileWriter close method. I assume this is when
> creating a new CFS file from the separate other files.
> Unfortunately there is no hint at which system resource, and I have no
> access to the machine this fails on, otherwise I would run some
> testing to see what resource usage is going on.
> The process running this, has 1.3GB of memory allowance.
>
> If anyone has any insights they would be much appreciated. Stack trace
> included now:
>
> Exception in thread "Lucene Merge Thread #0"
> org.apache.lucene.index.MergePolicy$MergeException: java.io.IOException:
> Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service
>        at
> org.apache.lucene.index.ConcurrentMergeScheduler.handleMergeException(
> Co
> ncurrentMergeScheduler.java:309)
>        at
> org.apache.lucene.index.ConcurrentMergeScheduler$MergeThread.run(Concu
> rr
> entMergeScheduler.java:286)
> Caused by: java.io.IOException: Insufficient system resources exist to
> complete the requested service
>        at java.io.RandomAccessFile.readBytes(Native Method)
>        at java.io.RandomAccessFile.read(Unknown Source)
>        at
> org.apache.lucene.store.FSDirectory$FSIndexInput.readInternal(FSDirect
> or
> y.java:596)
>        at
> org.apache.lucene.store.BufferedIndexInput.readBytes(BufferedIndexInput.
> java:136)
>        at
> org.apache.lucene.index.CompoundFileWriter.copyFile(CompoundFileWriter
> .j
> ava:228)
>        at
> org.apache.lucene.index.CompoundFileWriter.close(CompoundFileWriter.ja
> va
> :184)
>        at
> org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentMerger.createCompoundFile(SegmentMerger
> .j
> ava:204)
>        at
> org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.mergeMiddle(IndexWriter.java:4260)
>        at
> org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.merge(IndexWriter.java:3877)
>        at
> org.apache.lucene.index.ConcurrentMergeScheduler.doMerge(ConcurrentMer
> ge
> Scheduler.java:205)
>        at
> org.apache.lucene.index.ConcurrentMergeScheduler$MergeThread.run(Concu
> rr
> entMergeScheduler.java:260)
> [...]

This message should be regarded as confidential. If you have received this email in error
please notify the sender and destroy it immediately.
Statements of intent shall only become binding when confirmed in hard copy by an authorised
signatory.  The contents of this email may relate to dealings with other companies within
the Detica Group Limited group of companies.

Detica Group Limited is registered in England under No: 03328242.

Registered offices: Warwick House, PO Box 87, Farnborough Aerospace Centre, Farnborough, Hampshire,
GU14 6YU, England.