lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From AHMET ARSLAN <iori...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Storing words with apostrophe in Lucene index
Date Tue, 28 Jul 2009 06:44:05 GMT

> When user types in any of the following keywords,I want
> this company to come up in search results.
> 1.Moo 2.Mood 3.Moodys 4.Moody's
>
> How should I store this index in Lucene and what type of
> Lucene Query should I use to get this behavior?

If you want to use a built-in analyzer WhitespaceAnalyzer with PrefixQuery are enough to get
this behavior.
Just add an star ( * ) end of the user query:

Moo*
Mood*
Moodys*
Moody's*

Note that this option will be case sensitive.

To perform case insensitive search either you can add LowerCaseFilter to  WhitespaceAnalyzer,
or remove StandardFilter from StandardAnalyzer.
May be it is a good idea to setLowercaseExpandedTerms of your QueryParser to true, since wildcard
query words are not analyzed.

If you don't want to use wildcard searches, then EdgeNGramTokenFilter can help you.