lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Uwe Schindler" <...@thetaphi.de>
Subject RE: OOM with 2.9
Date Sun, 12 Jul 2009 13:01:35 GMT
> > he/lucene/store/MMapDirectory.html#setUseUnmap(boolean)
>

> I have tried it already, but it does not help in opening Index... mapping
> fails

Various other hints: -Xmx and -Xms should be set to the same value, because
the mmapped region must map in complete into the available address space. If
it is fragmented because of resizing of Java Heap it could fail. Also the
address space for mmapping must be *outside* of -Xmx, because it is not part
of the Java heap (it is extra). So maybe you should make Xms/Xmx smaller.

Another problem with mmap (may be different on various operating systems):
it can be the case that you have already another JVM running in parallel
(with the old lucene version)? Maybe your operating system is not able to
map it twice to different addresses or the address space is filled by the
other JVM (normally every process should have 2 separate Gigabytes of
address space, but I am not sure).

> > A additional possibility is to use the new
> > org.apache.lucene.store.FileSwitchDirectory
> this one is nice, will try it
>
> Thanks for tips Uwe.

Uwe