lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From AHMET ARSLAN <iori...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Setting Boost values
Date Tue, 21 Jul 2009 14:24:33 GMT

> We have indexed various field related information, such as
> Title, Body , Meta text, H1, URLĀ  etc.
> What should be the values for these fields?

Boost value is multiplied with score. Or in other words it is a multiplication factor in score
calculation.

> Should they be relative?
Yes.

> Are there any standard values?
No.

"The default value of field boosts, logically, is 1.0. During indexing, a Document can be
assigned a boost, too. A Document boost factor implicitly
sets the starting field boost of all fields to the specified value. Field-specific boosts
are multiplied by the starting value, giving the final value of the field boost factor." [Hatcher's
Lucene in Action Book]

> what can be the best way to combine the page rank information with the lucene'sĀ document
score?

I don't know it is the best way but using page rank as a document level boost during indexing
is the easiest way, I guess.

You can probably do it at query time also but I don't know how to do it in Lucene.
In Solr http://lucene.apache.org/solr/api/org/apache/solr/search/BoostQParserPlugin.html