lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erick Erickson <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Using IN to retrieve data after lucene search.
Date Thu, 09 Jul 2009 13:44:51 GMT
It depends (tm). How much data are we talking about here?I dislike having to
have two data sources for a running app
just because it's more complicated, so my first try would
be to store all the data in the index and try it. A several
Gigabyte index is not a problem at all (depending upon
how you use it, that is).

But note that storing data doesn't impact searching speed
as much as you'd think, indexing and storing are orthogonal,
and you only access the stored data when you get the
document, not when searching.

But none of this matters if you have to go to the database
anyway. If you can *completely* satisfy the search by
storing the entire table in the index, I'd just try that first.

Best
Erick