lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From eks dev <eks...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: speed of BooleanQueries on 2.9
Date Thu, 16 Jul 2009 10:38:49 GMT

I am getting lost as well, maybe I managed to confuse myself and everybody else here.

But all agree, it would be good to know why it works now

Re. Query rewriting.

This Query gets printed with
///
BooleanQuery q;
q.toString()
search(q, null, 200):
///

=> this is the Query that enters this method.

and this String has exactly that form
(x OR y OR z) OR (a OR b OR c),
That is exactly how I construct the Query, have a look at brackets on this toString result
.
I have absolutely no influence on rewriting , everything happens at BoolenQuery/Clause level
using legal, high level api... have no idea...

Will try some other, equally crazy  things, to run it with  +(x OR y OR z) OR +(a OR b OR
c),  to check if it gets stuck on older trunk (the version with problems) in this setup. Just
to see if setting setAllowDocsOutOfOrder(true/false)  has some unbelievable side effects on
places where it should not ...
the idea is:
setAllowDocsOutOfOrder(true) and MUST terms, should have the same effect as setAllowDocsOutOfOrder(false)
.... so, if it gets stuck there we have some other side effects...

No matter how confusing, trunk version without these 2 patches makes this query stuck...

later today I will rollback trunk to see which patch fixed it ... reduces number of puzzle
peaces

Cheers,
Eks