lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From <oh...@cox.net>
Subject Re: New to Lucene - some questions about demo
Date Tue, 28 Jul 2009 15:11:40 GMT
Hi Matthew and Ian,

Thanks, I'll try that, but, in the meantime, I've been doing some reading (Lucene in Action),
and on pg. 159, section 5.3, it discusses "Querying on multiple fields".

I was just about to try to what's described in that section, i.e., using MultiFieldQueryParser.parse(),
or, as another note on pg. 161 mentions, doing something like:

doc.add(Field.Unstored("contents", contents + " " + summary);

So, I guess I'm a little confused (happens a lot :)!):  In the situation I'm talking about
(starting with the Lucene demo and demo webapp, and trying to be able to index and search
more than just the "contents" field), do I not need to use the MultiFieldQueryParser.parse()
or do what they call "create a synthentic content"?

Thanks,
Jim

---- Matthew Hall <mhall@informatics.jax.org> wrote:
> Yeah, Ian has it nailed on the head here.
>
> Can't believe I missed it in the initial writeup.
>
> Matt
>
> Ian Lea wrote:
> > Jim
> >

> > Glancing at SearchFiles.java I can see
> >
> > Analyzer analyzer = new StandardAnalyzer();
> > QueryParser parser = new QueryParser(field, analyzer);
> > Query query = parser.parse(line);
> >
> > so any query term you enter will be run through StandardAnalyzer which
> > will, amongst other things, convert it to lowercase and will not match
> > the indexed value of FooFoo.  If you're just playing, it would
> > probably be easiest to tell lucene to analyze the summary field e.g.
> >
> > doc.add(new Field("summary", "FooFoo", Field.Store.YES, Field.Index.ANALYZED));
> >
> > That will cause FooFoo to be indexed as foofoo and thus should be
> > matched on search.
> >

> > --
> > Ian.
> >

> > On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 2:22 PM, <ohaya@cox.net> wrote:
> >
> >> Ian and Matthew,
> >>
> >> I've tried "foofoo", "summary:foofoo", "FooFoo", and "summary:FooFoo".  No results
returned for any of those :(.

> >> Also, Matthew, I bounced Tomcat after running IndexFiles, so I don't think that's
the problem either :(...

> >> I looked at the SearchFiles.java code, and it looks like it's literally using
whatever query string I'm entering (ditto for luceneweb).  Is there something with the query
itself that needs to be modified to support searching on the fields other than the "contents"
field (recall, I'm pretty sure that all those other fields are in the index, via Luke)?