lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Andy Faibishenko" <a...@lasalletech.com>
Subject Is my app a good fit for Lucene?
Date Fri, 10 Jul 2009 14:35:15 GMT
I have a GUI application which needs to open large files (hundreds of MB)
and be able to search through them quickly for user specified strings.
These files are frequently updated while the user is viewing them and the
updates are captured by the application.  Also, the files contain records
which are KEY=VALUE pairs separated by a non-printable ASCII character
instead of normal English text.

I installed Lucene in Eclipse and tried to play around with some sample
code.  One thing I noticed is that the wildcard searching doesn't seem to
work right on this data.  I am guessing it is because the text format is
tripping up the tokenizing.

I am trying to figure out whether using Lucene to implement this is a good
thing or whether I should just try to implement my own search logic.

Andy Faibishenko