lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Ken Krugler <kkrugler_li...@transpac.com>
Subject Re: Synchronizing Lucene indexes across 2 application servers
Date Sat, 20 Jun 2009 09:51:43 GMT
>I've a web application which uses Lucene for search functionality. Lucene
>search requests are served by web services sitting on 2 application servers
>(IIS 7).The 2 application servers are Load balanced using "netscaler".
>
>Both these servers have a batch job running which updates search indexes on
>the respective servers in the night on a daily basis.
>
>I need to synchronize search indexes on these 2 servers so that at any point
>of time both the servers have uptodate indexes. I was thinking what could be
>the best architecture/design strategy to do so given the fact that any of
>the 2 application servers could be serving search request depending upon its
>availability.

You could use Katta for this, as another option - it's an open source
distributed Lucene search system.

Under the hood Katta uses ZooKeeper to handle distribution of data to
multiple servers. Once Katta has added an index to both systems, then
you can switch to it (and eventually remove the old index).

The fact that you'd need two Katta "masters" makes things a bit more
interesting, as you'd have to coordinate when they both decide to
switch to using the new index(es).

-- Ken
--
Ken Krugler