lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Mateusz Berezecki <mateu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: indexing performance problems
Date Mon, 08 Jun 2009 11:54:51 GMT
Hi Michael

Thanks for a prompt response.

On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 1:27 PM, Michael
McCandless<lucene@mikemccandless.com> wrote:
> This isn't normal.
>
> A mergeFactor of 150 is way too high; I'd put that back to 10 and see
> if the problem persists.  Also make sure you're using
> autoCommit=false, and try the suggestions here:
>
>    http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/ImproveIndexingSpeed

I've set mergeFactor to 10, 15 and 20 before trying out 150 and the
problem persisted, although I have to admit that 2.9 gives some
serious speed improvements as compared to 2.4.1 which I believe is a
good sign, i.e. it reaches the same document that causes deadlock much
faster than 2.4.1 does

> You're sure the JRE's heap size is big enough?

I've set it to 3.8 GB and I'm running it on a desktop with 4 GB of RAM.

> If the problem persists... can you turn on IndexWriter's infoStream
> and post the resulting output leading up to the 100% CPU?  You might
> also try "kill -QUIT" when the 100% CPU problem is happening, to catch
> the stack trace of all threads, and post that too...

Not sure how do I turn on the infoStream and autoCommit? WRT to
autoCommit I did not use the deprecated API with autoCommit flags in
constructors, so assuming I used the recommended API is the autoCommit
on/off by default?

thanks!
Mateusz