lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Sudarsan, Sithu D." <>
Subject RE: OutOfMemoryError using IndexWriter
Date Wed, 24 Jun 2009 13:55:29 GMT

 Hi Stefan,

Are you using Windows 32 bit? If so, sometimes, if the index file before
optimizations crosses your jvm memory usage settings (if say 512MB),
there is a possibility of this happening.

Increase JVM memory settings if that is the case.

Sithu D Sudarsan

Off: 301-796-2587

-----Original Message-----
From: stefan []
Sent: Wednesday, June 24, 2009 4:09 AM
Subject: OutOfMemoryError using IndexWriter

I am using Lucene 2.4.1 to index a database with less than a million
records. The resulting index is about 50MB in size.
I keep getting an OutOfMemory Error if I re-use the same IndexWriter to
index the complete database. This is though
recommended in the performance hints.
What I now do is, every 10000 Objects I close the index (and every 50
close actions optimize it) and create a new
IndexWriter to continue. This process works fine, but to me seems hardly
the recommended way to go.
I've been using jhat/jmap as well as Netbeans profiler and am fairly
sure that this is a problem related to Lucene.

Any Ideas - or post this to Jira ? Jira has quite a few OutOfMemory
postings but they all seem closed in Version 2.4.1.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: