lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Newman, Billy" <Billy.New...@itt.com>
Subject Too many files open issue
Date Fri, 12 Jun 2009 15:12:30 GMT
I know this has been covered a number of time before but I am still confused.

I am using all the default values for IndexWriter when writing my index.

I loop over all my documents 1000 at a time.  For each 1000 I open an index writer, write
each document, optimize the index, then close the index writer.  The problems comes about
in the second 1000.  Somewhere in writing the second 1000 I start to get a Too many files
open exception.  What I don't understand is why I can write the first 1000 with no problem,
optimize and close the writer and then have a problem the next time around.

As an aside I am running redhat and I run 'limit descriptor' and see that it is set to 1024.
 Anyone have any idea if this is to low or if there is a recommended value?

Thanks.

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it may be proprietary and are intended solely for
e-mail in error please notify the sender.
Please note that any views or opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the author
and do not necessarily represent those of ITT Corporation. The recipient should check this
e-mail and any attachments for the presence of viruses. ITT accepts no liability for any damage
caused by any virus transmitted by this e-mail.