lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Using Lucene for Moderate Similarity Check..
Date Tue, 09 Jun 2009 14:34:01 GMT
Hi Ravi,

Lucene can enable this, but you will have some work to do on top of
it.  If you search the archives for record linkage (http://www.lucidimagination.com/search/?q=record+linkage

) you will find a fair amount of discussion on this.  Also, in
somewhat shameless marketing mode, my co-author, Tom Morton, is just
putting the finishing touches on a chapter in our book called Taming
Text (http://www.manning.com/ingersoll) which discusses some of the
techniques involved in making this stuff happen.  That chapter should
be released in the next few weeks.

You likely can get a basic system working pretty quickly with what is
in Lucene, but then the next level is often more difficult.  You often
end up with a rules system that can become brittle with this
approach.  An alternative is to apply some type of machine learning
approach.  You could also look at this as a clustering problem, which
Mahout (or other clustering tools) could be helpful in solving.

Finally, just know there will be a human in the loop with any
approach.  The goal is to minimize the number of matches that a person
has to check.

Hope this helps,
Grant

On Jun 9, 2009, at 4:16 AM, RaviK Thakur wrote:

> Hello All,
>      I want to check the feasibility of using Lucene for similarity
> check
> between the two flat csv files. The actual requirement is like this:
> We
> have two files each containing the information of customers like their
> name, address, pin code etc. Some customers may be in common in both
> the
> files. We want to find the customer that are common in these files.
> But the
> match should be on attribute basis. If the name of the customer
> matches in
> one file to the name of the customer in another file, then match the
> address, if it matches then match pin code and so on. But the main
> consideration is that this matching is not exact. If the name of
> customer
> matches say 80% then it may be termed as match. For example, if
> ABDUL is
> matched with ABDULLAH, it should be termed as a match. In this
> fashion each
> record of one file will be matched with each record of another file.
> The
> output of this procedure will be another file containing the matched
> record.
>
> Can anyone please suggest the applicability of lucene for this
> requirement.
> May in the form of Pros n Cons.
>
> Thanks in advance:-)
> Ravi