lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Angel, Eric" <ean...@business.com>
Subject RE: Distributed Lucene Questions
Date Tue, 02 Jun 2009 00:11:25 GMT
Has anyone used Katta in production?  It looks very interesting and
feature-rich, but I'm wondering how stable it is and whether or not it
can support fine-grained queries - for example, constant score queries,
MultiSearcher, etc.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ken Krugler [mailto:kkrugler_lists@transpac.com]
Sent: Monday, June 01, 2009 11:05 AM
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Distributed Lucene Questions

>Hi All,
>
>I am trying to build a distributed system to build and serve lucene
>I came across the Distributed Lucene project-
>http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/DistributedLucene
>https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-3394
>
>and have a couple of questions. It will be really helpful if someone
can
>provide some insights.
>
>1) Is this code production ready?
>2) Does someone has performance data for this project?
>3) It allows searches and updates/deletes to be performed at the same
time.
>How well the system will perform if there are frequent updates to the
>system. Will it handle the search and update load easily or will it be
>better to rebuild or update the indexes on different machines and then
>deploy the indexes back to the machines that are serving the indexes?
>
>Basically I am trying to choose between the 2 approaches-
>
>1) Use Hadoop to build and/or update Lucene indexes and then deploy
them on
>separate cluster that will take care or load balancing, fault tolerance
etc.
>There is a package in Hadoop contrib that does this, so I can use that
code.

>2) Use and/or modify the Distributed Lucene code.
>
>I am expecting daily updates to our index so I am not sure if
Distribtued
>Lucene code (which allows searches and updates on the same indexes)
will be
>able to handle search and update load efficiently.

I think you should take a look at Katta, as this is exactly the type
of use case it's designed to handle.

http://katta.sourceforge.net/

Other people use the distributed search support inside of Nutch.

And Solr has distributed search support, though it's still pretty new.

-- Ken
--
Ken Krugler
+1 530-210-6378