lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Ulf Dittmer <...@ulfdittmer.com>
Subject question about (problem with?) use of FieldCache$StringIndex
Date Thu, 25 Jun 2009 21:13:48 GMT
Hello-

We're looking at memory issues we're having with a fair-sized web app
that uses Lucene for search. While looking at heap dumps, we
discovered that there were 3 instances of
org.apache.lucene.search.FieldCache$StringIndex, each about 110MB in
size (out of a total of 1 GB).

Looking at the javadocs, I'm not real clear what the class does, but
it doesn't seem to have any settings one could change. So I'm
wondering: Is it normal to have more than one instance of this? Is it
necessary? Are there circumstances in which this could be avoided? If
we can't avoid it being used: are there ways of making it use less
memory?

Thanks in advance for any clue. The trusted "Lucene In Action"
doesn't talk about the class, and our code doesn't use it directly,
so I'm a bit stumped.

Ulf