lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: indexing performance problems
Date Mon, 08 Jun 2009 12:13:17 GMT
On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 7:54 AM, Mateusz Berezecki<mateuszb@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for a prompt response.

You're welcome!

>> A mergeFactor of 150 is way too high; I'd put that back to 10 and see
>> if the problem persists.  Also make sure you're using
>> autoCommit=false, and try the suggestions here:
>>
>>    http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/ImproveIndexingSpeed
>
> I've set mergeFactor to 10, 15 and 20 before trying out 150 and the
> problem persisted, although I have to admit that 2.9 gives some
> serious speed improvements as compared to 2.4.1 which I believe is a
> good sign, i.e. it reaches the same document that causes deadlock much
> faster than 2.4.1 does

Hmm: do you know for certain that a particular document causes this?
If you make a standalone test indexing only that document, does the
problem happen?

>> You're sure the JRE's heap size is big enough?
>
> I've set it to 3.8 GB and I'm running it on a desktop with 4 GB of RAM.

OK sounds like plenty, though likely the OS won't give you 3.8 GB (if
the JRE is 32-bit).

>> If the problem persists... can you turn on IndexWriter's infoStream
>> and post the resulting output leading up to the 100% CPU?  You might
>> also try "kill -QUIT" when the 100% CPU problem is happening, to catch
>> the stack trace of all threads, and post that too...
>
> Not sure how do I turn on the infoStream and autoCommit? WRT to
> autoCommit I did not use the deprecated API with autoCommit flags in
> constructors, so assuming I used the recommended API is the autoCommit
> on/off by default?

For infoStream, eg:  IndexWriter.setInfoStream(System.out);

And, yes, since you're using a non-deprecated ctor of IndexWriter, you
are getting autoCommit=false, so that's good.

Mike