lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From KK <dioxide.softw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How to support stemming and case folding for english content mixed with non-english content?
Date Thu, 04 Jun 2009 05:12:30 GMT
Muir, thanks for your response.
I'm indexing indian language web pages which has got descent amount of
english content mixed with therein. For the time being I'm not going to use
any stemmers as we don't have standard stemmers for indian languages . So
what I want to do is like this,
Say I've a web page having hindi content with 5% english content. Then for
hindi I want to use the basic white space analyzer as we dont have stemmers
for this as I mentioned earlier and whereever english appears I want them to
be stemmed tokenized etc[the standard process used for english content]. As
of now I'm using whitespace analyzer for the full content which doesnot
support case folding, stemming etc for teh content. So if there is an
english word say "Detection" indexed as such then searching for detection or
detect is not giving any results, which is the expected behavior, but I want
this kind of queries to give results.
I hope I made it clear. Let me know any ideas on doing the same. And one
more thing, I'm storing the full webpage content under a single field, I
hope this will not make any difference, right?
It seems I've to use language identifiers, but do we really need that?
Because we've only non-english content mixed with english[and not french or
russian etc].

What is the best way of approaching the problem? Any thoughts!

Thanks,
KK.