lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Roberto Franchini <ro.franch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Too many files open issue
Date Fri, 12 Jun 2009 22:10:47 GMT
On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 5:12 PM, Newman, Billy<Billy.Newman@itt.com> wrote:
> I know this has been covered a number of time before but I am still confused.
>
> I am using all the default values for IndexWriter when writing my index.
>
> I loop over all my documents 1000 at a time.  For each 1000 I open an index writer,
write each document, optimize the index, then close the index writer.  The problems comes
about in the second 1000.  Somewhere in writing the second 1000 I start to get a Too many
files open exception.  What I don't understand is why I can write the first 1000 with no
problem, optimize and close the writer and then have a problem the next time around.

> As an aside I am running redhat and I run 'limit descriptor' and see that it is set to
1024.  Anyone have any idea if this is to low or if there is a recommended value?

1024 is too low. For a desktop machine too! So increase it.
R.

--
Roberto Franchini
http://www.celi.it