lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Roberto Franchini <>
Subject Re: Too many files open issue
Date Fri, 12 Jun 2009 22:10:47 GMT
On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 5:12 PM, Newman, Billy<> wrote:
> I know this has been covered a number of time before but I am still confused.
> I am using all the default values for IndexWriter when writing my index.
> I loop over all my documents 1000 at a time.  For each 1000 I open an index writer,
write each document, optimize the index, then close the index writer.  The problems comes
about in the second 1000.  Somewhere in writing the second 1000 I start to get a Too many
files open exception.  What I don't understand is why I can write the first 1000 with no
problem, optimize and close the writer and then have a problem the next time around.
> As an aside I am running redhat and I run 'limit descriptor' and see that it is set to
1024.  Anyone have any idea if this is to low or if there is a recommended value?

1024 is too low. For a desktop machine too! So increase it.

Roberto Franchini
Tel +39-011-6600814 skype:ro.franchini

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: