lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Scott Smith" <ssm...@mainstreamdata.com>
Subject Filters vs Queries - revisited
Date Fri, 19 Jun 2009 18:45:02 GMT
As I read about Filters, it seems to me that a filter is preferred for
any portion of the query string where you are setting the boost to 0
(meaning you don't want it to contribute to the relevancy score).

But, relevancy is only interesting if you are displaying the documents
in relevancy order.

Is it too simplistic to say that if you are displaying results in some
order other than relevancy (e.g., in date order), that you should simply
use filters and ignore queries (use MatchAllDocsQuery)?