lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Shashi Kant <sk...@sloan.mit.edu>
Subject P2P Lucene
Date Thu, 04 Jun 2009 12:03:56 GMT
Hi all,

I am writing to gauge the group's interest level in building a P2P
application using Lucene. Nothing fancy, just good old-fashioned P2P
search across one's social-network or work-network (very unlike
Gnutella, Kazaa etc.). The obvious business-case for this could be
many such as document sharing/location within organizations without
centralized repositories. As is well known - intentionally or
inadvertently - most documents are locked-up in individual computers
and such a tool could provide a powerful discovery mechanism.

I was thinking of create an F/OSS project leveraging Lucene and
Jabber/XMPP, but something far more lightweight than comparable
"groupware" projects with a dead-simple permission-based sharing
system. Lightweight simplicity being the operative words.

Just curious to see the interest level in collaborating on such an
effort, and/or sharing any other ideas where such an effort would be
helpful.

Thanks,
Shashi

skant@alum.mit.edu