lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Phrase Highlighting
Date Thu, 04 Jun 2009 11:24:12 GMT
Yeah, the highlighter framework as is is certainly limiting. When I
first did the SpanHighlighter without trying to fit it into the old
Highlighter (an early incomplete prototype type thing anyway) I made
them merge right off the bat because it was very easy. That was because
I could just use the span positions I got back in any manner I wanted to
work with the tokens and create the text. To get things to work a token
at a time though (you give me a token, I score it), I did things kind of
differently where I collect all the valid spans for each token, and if a
token falls in a valid span for that token (calculated ahead of time), I
highlight it. I think that just makes it harder to deal with getting
things right with overlap and what not. Its also difficult to talk to
the Formatter from the Scorer to do the markup right without weird hacks
where they talk to each other hard coded style or something. Its
certainly not impossible, but it just ended up being much harder to get
right with the current framework. Of course, I wasn't considering
changing the framework at the time (wasn't even a contrib committer at
the time), so perhaps there is something that could be done to ease
things there (eg a way for the Scorer to communicate with the
Formatter). I don't have a complete memory of all the issues really though.

I also don't want to discourage anyone from trying to get something
going. Its not impossible, but it was just darn hard to get right with
the current API. I've always just recommended post processing.

- Mark

Michael McCandless wrote:
> Mark, is this because the highlighter package doesn't include enough
> information as to why the fragmenter picked a given fragment?
>
> Because... the SpanScorer is in fact doing all the work to properly
> locate the full span for the phrase (I think?), so it's ashame that
> because there's no way for it to "communicate" this information to the
> formatter.  The strong decoupling of fragmenting from highlighting is
> hurting us here...
>
> Mike

>>> Okay, I hacked something up in Java that illustrates my issue.
>>>

>>> import org.apache.lucene.search.*;
>>> import org.apache.lucene.analysis.*;
>>> import org.apache.lucene.document.*;
>>> import org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter;
>>> import org.apache.lucene.analysis.standard.StandardAnalyzer;
>>> import org.apache.lucene.index.Term;
>>> import org.apache.lucene.queryParser.QueryParser;
>>> import org.apache.lucene.store.Directory;
>>> import org.apache.lucene.store.RAMDirectory;
>>> import org.apache.lucene.search.highlight.*;
>>> import org.apache.lucene.search.spans.SpanTermQuery;
>>> import java.io.Reader;
>>> import java.io.StringReader;
>>>
>>> public class PhraseTest {
>>>    private IndexSearcher searcher;
>>>    private RAMDirectory directory;
>>>
>>>    public PhraseTest() throws Exception {
>>>        directory = new RAMDirectory();
>>>
>>>        Analyzer analyzer = new Analyzer() {
>>>            public TokenStream tokenStream(String fieldName, Reader reader)
>>> {
>>>                return new WhitespaceTokenizer(reader);
>>>            }
>>>
>>>            public int getPositionIncrementGap(String fieldName) {
>>>                return 100;
>>>            }
>>>        };
>>>
>>>        IndexWriter writer = new IndexWriter(directory, analyzer, true,
>>>                IndexWriter.MaxFieldLength.LIMITED);
>>>
>>>        Document doc = new Document();
>>>        String text = "Jimbo John is his name";
>>>        doc.add(new Field("contents", text, Field.Store.YES,
>>> Field.Index.ANALYZED));
>>>        writer.addDocument(doc);
>>>
>>>        writer.optimize();
>>>        writer.close();
>>>
>>>        searcher = new IndexSearcher(directory);
>>>
>>>        // Try a phrase query
>>>        PhraseQuery phraseQuery = new PhraseQuery();
>>>        phraseQuery.add(new Term("contents", "Jimbo"));
>>>        phraseQuery.add(new Term("contents", "John"));
>>>
>>>        // Try a SpanTermQuery
>>>        SpanTermQuery spanTermQuery = new SpanTermQuery(new
>>> Term("contents",
>>> "Jimbo John"));
>>>
>>>        // Try a parsed query
>>>        Query parsedQuery = new QueryParser("contents",
>>> analyzer).parse("\"Jimbo John\"");
>>>
>>>        Hits hits = searcher.search(parsedQuery);
>>>        System.out.println("We found " + hits.length() + " hits.");
>>>
>>>        // Highlight the results
>>>        CachingTokenFilter tokenStream = new
>>> CachingTokenFilter(analyzer.tokenStream( "contents", new
>>> StringReader(text)));
>>>
>>>        SimpleHTMLFormatter formatter = new SimpleHTMLFormatter();
>>>
>>>        SpanScorer sc = new SpanScorer(parsedQuery, "contents",
>>> tokenStream,
>>> "contents");
>>>
>>>        Highlighter highlighter = new Highlighter(formatter, sc);
>>>        highlighter.setTextFragmenter(new SimpleSpanFragmenter(sc));
>>>        tokenStream.reset();
>>>
>>>        String rv = highlighter.getBestFragments(tokenStream, text, 1,
>>> "...");
>>>        System.out.println(rv);
>>>
>>>    }
>>>    public static void main(String[] args) {
>>>        System.out.println("Starting...");
>>>        try {
>>>            PhraseTest pt = new PhraseTest();
>>>        } catch(Exception ex) {
>>>            ex.printStackTrace();
>>>        }
>>>    }
>>> }
>>>

>>> The output I'm getting is instead of highlighting <B>Jimbo John</B>
it
>>> does
>>> <B>Jimbo</B> then <B>John</B>.  Can I get around this
some how?  I tried