lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erick Erickson <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Lucene Term Encoder
Date Mon, 29 Jun 2009 18:41:26 GMT
You probably need to make sure you understand analyzers beforeyou think
about escaping/encoding. For instance, if you use
StandardAnalyzer when indexing the text "Las Vegas-Food Dining Place"
would index the tokens
las
vegas
food
dining
place

nary a hyphen to be seen. If you used StandardAnalyzer for querying,
all would be fine.

I strongly recommend you get a copy of Luke to examine the results of
using different analyzers because different analyzers do different things.

A good starting point is to just not worry about this at all and use the
*same* analyzer for indexing and searching, then modify as necessary.

Best
Erick